Symptoms of Fibromyalgia may include:
· Sleep disturbances
· Memory and concentration problems
· Dry eyes
· Heart palpitations
· Impaired coordination
Up to 18 distinct tender points can be found on individuals with Fibromyalgia. Tender points are areas that are sensitive when palpated (touched) and are typically found over the insertion points of muscles or bony eminences.
How a neuromuscular therapist can help:
Neuromuscular therapy addresses the following factors:
· Ischemia (lack of blood)
· Trigger points (areas of low neurological activity that when stimulated or stressed, transforms to an area of high neurological activity that may refer sensations to other parts of the body)
· Nerve compression/entrapment (pressure on a nerve by bones, cartilage or soft tissue)
· Postural distortion (an imbalance of the muscle tonus system resulting in wear and tear of the joints)
· Biomechanical dysfunction (faulty movement patterns)
Clients who have been diagnosed by their doctor with Fibromyalgia have responded very positively to our Tender Point Release System. During an initial visit, an evaluation of the soft tissues is made to identify which of the 18 tender point regions are troublesome. Areas of the body that may be hyperconstricted (tightened) due to improper posture are also identified. The soft tissues are then released to these regions utilizing specific tender point massage. The therapy includes myofascial release techniques that were designed by The Therapy Option’s owner, Nancy Porambo.